THE ART OF JAZZ TRUMPET
in Two Volumes by JOHN MCNEIL
Published by: GERARD and SARZIN PUBLISHING CO.
The first comprehensive study of modern jazz trumpet playing.
Volume One contains a personal history of jazz trumpet, a selected discography, and
in-depth analysis of phrasing, articulation, valve technique and alternate fingerings.
Volume Two contains exercises to develop jazz articulation, rhythmic diversity and finger
"At last! Jazz trumpet players finally have a book of their own! John thoroughly covers the
main topics relating to jazz trumpet technique. I especially liked his informative history
of modern jazz trumpet. I highly recommend The Art of Jazz Trumpet to both students
- RANDY BRECKER
"A great book!"
- CLARK TERRY
THE ART OF JAZZ TRUMPET Volume One
- Jazz Trumpet History: A Personal View an excerpt about Charlie
- All In the Family -- A Jazz Trumpet Family Tree
- Jazz Articulation
- Multiple Tonguing
- Improvising With Wide Intervals
- Alternate Fingerings
- Circular Breathing
- Microphone Technique
- Precision Valve Technique
- Some Ideas About Practicing
- The Martin Committee Connection
- Selected Discography
THE ART OF JAZZ TRUMPET Volume Two
John McNeil is a jazz musician living in New York City. A
faculty member of New England Conservatory of Music, he has recorded numerous albums under
his own name and has performed with Horace Silver, Gerry Mulligan and others.
- Articulation Studies
- . . . Articulation Study No. 1
- . . . Articulation Study No. 2
- . . . Articulation Study No. 3
- . . . Blues in G
- . . . Rhythm Changes in C
- . . . Fourths and Seconds
- Cross Accents
- Finger Coordination
- Alternate Fingering Drills
- . . . False Finger Study No. I
- . . . False Finger Study No. 2
- Wide Intervals
- . . . Wide Interval Study No. 1
- . . . Wide Interval Study No. 2
(C) Changing Tones. All rights reserved.
E-mail us with questions or comments.
Page design by MacIntyre Music